Monday, April 25, 2011

Bandit the Dog

Bandit. Where do I begin.

He ate gum and random treats out of my purse on a regular basis, and was the best ball finder/hider, player, catcher, dog I'v ever seen. Although I've only known him a few years, but I sure will miss him and his oversize velvety ears.

Bandy, as we call him, was my husband's family dog for 13 years. Bandit had been suffering from congestive heart failure, among other ailments, for a few months now. And sadly, today, it was time for him to be put to sleep.

It's NEVER an easy thing. In fact, I think, it's one of the tougher things someone can endure over the course of their life. I'll never forget the day my Dad called while I was in college to inform me that he and my mom had decided to put our precious family dog of 14 years, Lilly, to sleep. I spent the latter part of that week, curled up in a fetal position- sobbing, snotting, and slobbery all over my Bed, Bath, and Beyond comforter set in my dorm room. My roommate at the time, (hey Danielle!) was so understanding and sweet-and Jonny, he got a taste of just HOW emotional women can be. I didn't care, I just wanted Lilly back. I just wanted to hug, smooch, and squeeze her tight one last time. Man, it sucks just thinking about it, BIG TIME.

What is it about dogs that captivate us so much? I don't know a single person who doesn't have a dog story to tell- and if you don't, I'm gonna be honest, I think you're weird.

To be quite frank, I think owning a dog adds years to your life. (after they're house trained of course) I tell my husband that often. I suppose that could be said for lots of pets, but I'm biased towards dogs.

John Grogan says it best in his famous book, "Marley and Me":
Warning: Grab a tissue before you read...

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary? "












We'll miss you Bandy!

2 comments:

  1. Katie,

    This post gave me chills. This is Megan Coffey, by the way. :) I am the biggest dog lover in the world- I can hardly get through Marley and Me. I own it, but won't watch it- what's the point in that? This post inspired me to write a dog post of my own! Come say hi on my blog sometime :) and we're anxious to hang out with you guys sometime soon! Tell Jonathan we're thinking of him. :(

    Megan http://coffeypartyof3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan!
    Glad to hear you're a dog lover as well. I'm pretty much obssessed. :) We're anxious to get together with yall as well!

    btw- Jonathan and I just finished going through boxes filled with all his old school work and childhood "memories"...hillarious...papers and other various momentos mentioning Chris emerged. We were cracking up-we'll have to share them with ya'll when we get together. :)

    Thanks for your sympathy on Bandit. :(
    Katie

    ReplyDelete